THE SOUTHBOUND US 1 ROLLING LANE CLOSURE WILL BE SUSPENDED ON JULY 4, 2023, THROUGH 12:01 A.M. ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 5, 2023.
Work is taking place 24/7 Monday through Friday. During the blackout dates, both work and the southbound rolling lane closure will be suspended. The blackout dates include:
- Independence Day: July 4, 2023
- Keys Mini Lobster Season: July 26 through July 27, 2023
- Labor Day Weekend: Sept. 1 through Sept. 4, 2023
- Key West Annual Key West Fantasy Fest: Oct. 20, 2023
- Key West Annual World Championship Boat Race: Nov. 5 through Nov. 12, 2023
- Veterans Day Weekend: Nov. 10 through 11, 2023
- Thanksgiving Holiday: Nov. 22 through 26, 2023
- Christmas Holiday: Dec. 24 through 30, 2023
- New Year's Weekend: Dec. 31, 2023, through Jan. 2, 2024
- Presidents' Day: Feb. 19, 2024
- Marathon Florida (New 7 Mile Bridge) Annual Run: April 6, 2024
- The southbound rolling lane closure (just north of MM 80), for the Islamorada Transmission Main Replacement Project, went into effect on May 1, 2023.
- A rolling lane closure means the lane will be closed for 1,000 to 1,500 feet at a time as crews install the new transmission main. The lane closure will continue to shift northbound (from MM 80 to 84) in 1,000 to 1,500-foot increments for the duration of the project.
- One northbound and one southbound lane will remain open along US-1 for the duration of the project.
- The bayside portion of the Heritage Trail will be closed, but a crosswalk to the ocean side of the trail will be maintained through March 2024.
- Bike lanes will remain accessible.
- While crews will be working (from MM 80 to 84) 24/7 Monday through Friday to replace the transmission main in Islamorada, work will pause for major holidays and events.
- The Islamorada Transmission Main Replacement Project is slated for completion in February 2025, but traffic impacts are expected to lessen after March 2024.